Important Quotes from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
When analyzing theme in Ender's Game, use these quotes.
Quotes about the Loss of Individual Liberties
An argument can be made supporting the need for the IF in Ender's Game. After all, Buggers did try to wipe out the entire planet. As with real modern governments, unfortunately, the leaders in Ender's Game do not let the crisis go to waste and ultimately overstep their bounds. Let's compare the world of Big Government in Ender's Game with the basic tenets of freedom presented in the Declaration of Independence.
- "Human beings are free except when humanity needs them. Maybe humanity needs you." (26).
- "I am not a happy man, Ender. Humanity does not ask us to be happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf. Survival first, then happiness as we can manage it." (194).
- "Welcome to the human race. Nobody controls his own life, Ender. The best you can do is choose to fill the roles given you by good people, by people who love you." (219).
- "It was not his fault he was a Third. It was the government's idea, they were the ones who authorized it - how else could a Third like Ender have got into school?" (4).
- "the adults are the enemies, not the other armies. They do not tell us the truth."
- "It's the teachers, they're the enemy. They get us to fight each other, to hate each other." (77)
Quotes about the Fine Line Between Good and Evil
It's sometimes difficult to tell who's good and who's bad in Ender's Game.
- "Sometimes lies are more dependable than the truth." (2).
- "Ender leaned his head against the wall of the corridor and cried until the bus came. I am just like Peter. Take my monitor away, and I am just like Peter." (8).
- "But this isn't how it feels to be a bugger, thought Ender. They don't ware this face like a mask, it is their face. On their home worlds, do the buggers put on human masks, and play?" (8).
- "I'm doing it again, thought Ender. I'm hurting people again, just to save myself. Why don't they leave me alone, so I don't have to hurt them?" (115).
- "Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be." (231).
- "Human beings didn't evolve brains in order to lie around on lakes. Killing's the first thing we learned. And a good thing we did, or we'd be dead, and the tigers would own the earth." (241).
- “This was supposed to be a game. Not a choice between his own grisly death and an even worse murder. I’m a murderer, even when I play. Peter would be proud of me.” (65).
- “‘I know what you’re thinking, you bastard, you’re thinking that I’m wrong, that Ender’s like Peter. Well maybe I’m like Peter, but Ender isn’t, he isn’t at all, I used to tell him that when he cried, I told him that lots of times, you’re not like Peter, you never like to hurt people, you’re kind and good and not like Peter at all!’” (148).
- “But I’ll be watching you, more compassionately than you know, and when the time is right you’ll find that I’m your friend, and you are the soldier you want to be.” (168).
- “‘In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him. I think it’s impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves. And then, in that very moment when I love them-..... I destroy them. I make it impossible for them to ever hurt me again. I grind them and grind them until they don’t exist.’” (238).